What we do daily we can divide to passive doing and active actions.
Few examples of passive doing.
- When you sit on sofa doing nothing you are inside passive doing.
- When you turn tv on and watch anything without planning what tv channels broadcast. It is passive doing.
- When your wife talks to you and at the same time you read mail. both reading your mail and listening of your wife become passive doing.
These actions can easily be turned to active actions.
- If you sit on sofa and decide that this is the moment when you are NOT going to do anything and you use this time to relax. The action becomes active and it is more relaxing.
- If you plan that you are going to watch your favorite movie or series you love and nothing else, watching tv moves from passive doing to active action and you will get more out of the movie. Conscious decision to watch that selected movie does the difference. You don’t just collapse on your sofa and start watching – passively.
- When your wife talks to you. Don’t read the mail. Just listen. Listening is the art. When your read your mail. Just read it and don’t do anything else.
When I come home I wont do anything else but listen what my wife and kids have for me. They tell what has happened during the day. I use to do all kind of things while listening, but not anymore. Now I just listen and be there.
When you are active you will focus better and you will get more out of your actions. They are not just passive doings. They are active actions. And that is good for productivity and you.
Photo Credit Flickr Adam Foster